SCXRD and PWXRD Student Training
The BRUKER SMART 1000, BRUKER APEX II , RIGAKU ULTIMA IV and SCINTAG XDS-2000 are available for general use by authorized users including the ISU Faculty, Staff and Students.
***NOTE*** X-Ray Safety Authorizations expire Feb 28 of each year. You MUST renew in January or February of EACH year.****
To use single crystal diffractometers independently, you must complete
Chem 575: Diffraction and Crystal Structure or an equivalent course
According to ISU regulations, any qualified person working for ISU can gain access to our XRD system. The mandatory steps to be authorized for using CIF X-Ray facility are below:
STEP 1: Obtain a Chemical Services Account.
Each user of Chemical Instrumentation Facility has to be in the current Chemical Services database. Complete the Chemical Services Authorization Form, and scan in the completed form and email to Carlene Auestad.
STEP 2: Obtain X-Ray Safety Authorization.
The X-Ray Safety Fundamentals training course is available through the Environmental Health and Safety Online Learning Center. The training should take 20-30 minutes to complete. All authorized X-Ray device users (including Principal Investigators) must complete the training.
- Go to the EH&S Online Training Center. Use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
- Click on "Safety Training - ISU Login" if you have an ISU Net-ID.
- On the Learn@ISU site, click Login and enter your ISU Net-ID.
- On the top menu bar click "Course Catalog."
- Scroll down the list of courses and select "X-Ray Safety Fundamentals."
- Click “Launch” to begin the course.
- You must pass the exam at the end of the training with a score of at least 80%. If you don't pass you can immediately re-take the course and the exam.
- You do not need to print off the x-ray training certificate. The information will automatically become part of your X-ray Device Worker Application in the next step.
Should you have any questions about the training materials, please contact Scott Wendt, Radiation Safety Officer at ISU EH&S
STEP 3: X-ray/Radiation Producing Device Worker Application and request key card access.
- Click here to complete the X-ray/Radiation Producing Device Worker Application. We will receive an email to approve your application once you have completed it. We will not approve the application if you have not completed X-ray Safety Fundamentals training as outlined in Step 2.
- Once you have completed X-Ray Safety Fundamentals and the X-Ray Device Worker Application, you may submit a request for key card access to 1707 Gilman Hall.
STEP 4: Request instrument training.
Before training you should be familiar with SOPs/ Instrument manuals:
- Rigaku Ultima IV Powder XRD
- Bruker Venture D8 Single Crystal Diffractometer
- Bruker Apex II and Bruker SMART1000 Single Crystal CCD Diffractimeters
The request for to the training appointment should be sent to Arkady Ellern. Training for the Rigaku Ultima IV takes approximately 20 mins and can usually be arranged for the following day.
RWXRD and SCXRD Training Overview
The training course for both systems is fully hands-on and consits of:
- Basic overview of sample evaluation and mounting.
- Basic computer commands for the PC and Windows10 operating system.
- Training is done under the assumption that the user has a good quality crystal or a uniform powder.
- After a good sample is found, either a good quality crystal or a standard powder for Rigaku training, the user sets up and collects a data set.
Training for actual data collection consists of:
- The user is stepped through mounting and aligning the sample on the diffractometer.
- The turning on, powering up and down, turning off and all safety matters concerning the operation of the X-ray generators are reviewed.