**This system is currently being adapted to the 5973 GC-MS system to restore pyrolysis functionality to CIF**
The Frontier EGA/PY-3030D multi-shot pyrolyzer attachment is mounted on the back inlet port of the Agilent 6890 GC, part of the Waters GCT GCMS system. Pyrolysis is now the default configuration for the GCT GCMS, but switching back to normal GCMS will be done upon request. This extremely powerful technique can best be understood by browsing through Understanding the Frontier Multishot Pyrolyzer. It's a big document, so be patient while it downloads. In addition to the pyrolyzer, we have purchased the complete F-Search software and library package to help you interpret your data. Used in conjuction with powerful MassLynx data processing tools, including MassLynx/NIST library search and accurate mass determination, you will be amazed at how quickly research problems can be solved. We have also developed a functional liquid nitrogen based cryo-focussing apparatus so that optimum chromatographic resolution of components can be maintained during thermal desorption (TD) measurements.
This instrument is intended to be used by students and other researchers. Staff will provide training and some initial methods development assistance, and will configure the instrument and assist with special projects as required. The hourly rates listed below include use of the Frontier Pyrolyzer and the GCT GCMS. Data processing may be done at no additonal cost using the data station located in the room. NOTE: There is a minimum billable increment of one hour. Instrument reservations use iLabs and are subject to approval.
|User Category||Instrument Charge||Staff Assistance|
|Non-ISU academic users||$45||$45|
Understanding the Frontier Multishot Pyrolyzer - Frontier/Quantum Training Course - 10/20/2016 (192 pages - long download)
- Applications Overview
- Additives - plasticisers, releasing agents, residual monomaers, impurities, solvents...
- Application Products - apparel, automotive, construction, cosmetics, food, packaging...
- Basic Materials - polyethylene, polypropylene, polystyrene, polyurethane, nylon,, epoxy, polycarbonate, rubber...
- Functional Materials - adhesives, dyes, functional poymers, inks, paints, pigments,...
- Processed Materials - textiles, fibers, films, paper...
- Technical Notes Search Engine (174 pages - long download)
- CIF Training Manual
- Frontier EGA/PY-3030D Users Manual
- Frontier F-Search Operations Manual
- Consummables Catalog
- Typical QA/QC spectra
- Experimental section and acknowledgements